I was warned about this… ‘British weather is unpredictable’. I know that! ‘Always call the flight school before leaving for the lesson’. Pretty sound advice, so I actually checked the forecast the day before only to see the worst rain forecast for the whole month. I called and the receptionist said she’d get my planned instructor to call me back.
When she called she confirmed that conditions definitely would not be suitable for a trial flight so we postponed for the following day. Checking once more, the following evening we ended up postponing one again, but not before I had aa long chat with another pilot who told me a fair bit about his career so far and how the ‘discovery day’ was much better way to get insight into flying than the standard one hour trial flight. More excited than ever, I’ve not got another week to wait until I can get my hands on that cyclic!